I have started a new blog in Dave's Memory.
Go to
wwwwww.DaveRichardsMemory.blogspot.comwww
for more recent info, photos, articles, and learn about
the Dave Richards Memorial Award.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Staying healthy

Hi all.

Just thought we'd touch base. Dave's been doing pretty well the past few days, but is very tired. (To be honest, he's either been out doing something or is so exhausted when I'm home that I just want to let him sleep. So because of this, we haven't shared as much these past few days.) Also, despite the fact that he's tired, he still has insomnia in the evenings.

Yesterday a friend took him to LRCP for his weekly blood test and to change the bottle/pump for the 5-FU chemo med he takes at home. (Thanks Rob!) He also went to a couple of Clarke Road student events in the afternoon and evening.

Today Dave went out to Sharon Creek to walk the dog with Wil in the afternoon. This evening a friend gave Dave 3 tickets to the Knights game. (Thanks Jeff!) He went with his cousin Cory visiting from Korea, and another friend, Logan. Knight's won!

Dave felt a cold coming on over the weekend, and he's still fighting it. We did discuss this today and Dave agrees that he needs to cut back on the amount that he goes out. He still needs to get out for short walks and fresh air, but should cut back on his outings in public places. He's two weeks into chemo and the effects are cumulative. It's a hard balancing act. You want to keep life as normal as usual, and get out while you're feeling well so you don't go stir crazy. But he also needs to focus on staying healthy and ensuring he gets enough rest. Right now Dave is doing well, and we want to ensure he stays well during chemotherapy.

Fortunately Dave enjoys talking on the phone and has plenty of friends so I don't think he'll be bored!

Today I came home to a very clean house courtesy of Clarke Road staff. They pitched in for a cleaning lady! THAT was awesome and very appreciated. She did a great job. Thanks to all of you and to you Jill for organizing this! I'm so happy to not have to clean this weekend! Hahaha! I do find I'm spending a lot of time at different grocery stores lately, buying fresh fruits & veggies, and looking for organic food. And preparing veggie juices in our new juicer. And a lot of time reading. (I'm currently reading "Foods that Fight Cancer".) So having some time where I don't have to clean is wonderful!

We really want to thank everybody for their support and prayers. Please continue to pray for Dave to stay healthy during chemo.

Dave says good luck to you students on your exams next week. Wait, he's rewording it - it's not luck - he's stressing that they need to continue their hard work and it will show in the end. He's proud of all of you.

Take care!
Val

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Mr.Richards,

I'm so happy to hear that you're starting to feel better. I really do hope that everything goes well and that you beat this thing. You're such an amazing person and still one of my absolute favourite teachers ever! Construction class and communications 2002, goood times!!!!! I still have the bed side table with my initials for the doors :) You've always been such an inspiring and gracious person (and you got me through construction class. I owe you one haha)! So with all the praying power I have, i'm sending you allll the most positive and healing powers I have!!!!! Get well, STAY STRONG and know that so many people are thinking about you!!! Much love! Courteney Kanno

Lucille Stuckless said...

I woke up around 2 this morning.....and prayed for you both....for strength and healing and wisdom. A lady at a church that we once attended told me....if you wake up in the middle of the night, pray.....that is purpose of that nudge awake. God bless you both today!

Anonymous said...

Luck is the result of HARD WORK!

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Richards,
I have heard about your illness from someone who knows you very well. I am a high school teacher in Calgary, my mother has cancer and I often get discourage by the slow progress.

After reading this inspiring blog I have found some hope and feel that with prayer and support from friends, family and acquintances that care, we can more easily go through difficult times in our life.

I am really touch by the numerous comments made by your present and former students... You have touched their lifes in the way all teacher should but often fail to.

Fight this illness and keep making a difference in these young people lifes.

My prayer are with you and your family. Thanks for sharing your story.

Hélène Rocheleau
Teacher, Calgary.

Donna Shuster said...

Hello Mr Richards,
You have brought back some memories of the chemo room and i shed a few tears remembering the poor souls that were facing their disease alone. You have alot of support, as I did, and I went faithfully every three weeks for my6-8 hour drip line of chemo (mine was called CHOP-Retuxin for 4th stage Follicular Lymphoma).Seth and Brooke were in grade 5 and 8 at the time i was diagnosed at age 45 and we kept positive and prayed alot.I remember coming to watch Seth in grade 9 play on the volleyball team with my wig on. A parent from the other team commented on how much she liked my haircut and asked who my hairdresser was!!! My hair fell out about 18 days after my first round of chemo. After 5 months My Catscan was good but it took a few months for my hair to start to grow back, and yes it came in REALLY curly and much darker. I did need some help with sleeping too- my doc prescribed something to help get me through. It has been 3 1/2 years now and I go for my check-ups and keep praying, and pray for the others in the Cancer Clinic room that are in the process of battling the disease - and hope that they have help like I did- you are blessed to have such a supportive wife- keep up the good work and we will keep you and your family in our prayers.
Donna Shuster

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave/Val,

I was getting a little worried with no posts in a few days, I actually just called Gwen just to check in. Funny as of late I find myself driving and all of a sudden a need to pray strikes me and I always pray for you both... never had that urge before and I am so happy that the Lord has given me this 'fire' back and I can do 'it' for you !! (prayer)

Just wanted you to know I am thinking of you both. Stay strong, positive and healthy and the Lord will do the rest for you !

Much love and light,
Auntie Jeannie
XO

Valerie said...

Thanks all for sharing. And thanks so much for praying every time God nudges you! He's an awesome God and we're trusting Him wholly throughout this!

Jeannie, we love hearing from you and are sooo happy that your love for the Lord is renewed!

Val

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,
I just learned of your situation via my District 11 contacts and I wanted to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and that I hope that you will become a cancer survivor.
I found your blog through Michael Hoy's facebook page.
Sincerely,
Wendy Anes Hirschegger

Unknown said...

Dave and Val......a truly inspiring blog for anyone facing any adversity. I'm so proud of you both and send loving thoughts and prayers daily....notes of encouragement from students bring tears of joy and respect for your obvious positive influence on their young lives..... truly a special gift.... you are both very very special to me... never quit, I know you won't....
love, Uncle Paul :-)

Hebbs said...

Hey Davey/Val

Just let it be known that I'm always thinking of you guys on a daily basis. Talk to you soon