I have started a new blog in Dave's Memory.
Go to
wwwwww.DaveRichardsMemory.blogspot.comwww
for more recent info, photos, articles, and learn about
the Dave Richards Memorial Award.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sleep or lack thereof

Today Dave went in for the bone scan. A friend picked him up which was awesome! (Thanks Don!) It's a 2 part procedure where you go in for an injection (yep another needle) then return 3 hours later to be scanned. The actual scan is 45 minutes of laying still with your arms above your head. I'll have to call and find out how long it takes to get the results back for both the bone & brain scans. I have a feeling they'll make us wait until our next appointment with the medical oncologist in 2 weeks. We're praying that both these tests show no cancer.

Yesterday after work I drove Dave to the Clarke Road boys basketball game at Central. This afternoon Dave went to watch the Clarke Road hockey game. (Thanks Anthony for taking him there!) 

Tomorrow at noon Dave goes back to the LRCP (London Regional Cancer Program) to get his weekly blood tests, PICC line dressing change, and to replace the pump with the 5-FU (this is the chemo med he takes at home). Another friend is picking Dave up and taking him there. (Thanks Bill!)

Thankfully I've been able to sleep OK, but Dave has been finding himself wide awake at nights recently and just unable to sleep. So, he's been really tired for the last couple of days. I'm sure that part of the problem is just a lack of regular routine, like getting up and going to work. I do have to say, that regardless of how he's feeling, Dave really is staying positive. He is not getting down or frustrated. He's really touched by so many people that contact him through the day. He usually shares a few nice stories with me each evening.

Thanks everybody that's dropped a little something off, or picked up Brady to take him for a play or to the dog park. We do feel bad for the dog. He's a Weimaraner and will be 2 at the end of the month. They're a very active dog which is one of the reasons we got him - to push us to stay active right along with him. With the winter in full swing, it's hard to get him out for enough exercise. This time last year, we both took turns getting up early before work to walk him in the mornings, as well as in the evenings. Dave can go for walks, but is unable to walk the dog. Brady is a large dog, and a bit of a puller on leash, which is no good for Dave's PICC line and feeding tube. I do take him for walks, which I really enjoy, but I can't do it alone. So thanks you guys that have been coming by to drain his energy!

I've been encouraging Dave to write a few of these blog posts on his own. He likes that I do it for him, but it is really encouraging to listen to him. I'll have to keep pushing him!

Pray for Dave to get a good nights sleep on a regular basis. I think this is important for proper healing. Thanks everybody for your continued support!

Val

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, Val and Cale Just wanted to assure you that you all are daily in our prayers. Thanks Val for doing such an awesome job of keeping us informed so we can pray with focus.From experience Dave be sure to tell the medical staff tomorrow about not sleeping etc. as some times it is because of reactions to meds you are getting and they can be changed. There is a really neat scripture I found in sleepless nights Psalm 63
"When I remember Thee on my bed, I meditate on Thee in the night watches for Thou hast been my help, and in the shadow of Thy wings I sing for joy. My soul clings to Thee and Thy right hand upholds me." We have an awesome God who cares. We pray you'll have sweet dreams tonightDave. Chuck & Barb

Anonymous said...

Dave, as Chuck and Barb have already prayed, may you be at rest and peaceful this night as you wait faithfully for God's promises to be fulfilled.

"I pray that God the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in Him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit."
~Romans 15:13~
Michael

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave. It is good to read these posts and journey along with you. May you rest in the unsurpassed peace of our Lord! Blessings brother.
Karl

Anonymous said...

Hi Val & Dave,
Thank you for keeping up with this website. I want to hear about your success and struggles straight from the source and hope that I can help in any small way. I am thinking that dog walking might be good weight loss program!! Goodness knows I wish I could give Dave 50lbs of my weight and all would be better ( in some ways). HA!HA! I wanted to suggest a natural health product that I have used and some of my shift worker nursing friends use to help them sleep. It is called Melatonin stripes and they dissolve on your tongue and they seem to help some people drift off to sleep easier. I am planning to drop some of to you in the next day or so - to try. You can get them in the natural health section of shoppers and they are not too expensive. I will bring you some and you may want to give it a try. Keep positive!! Thinking about you everyday.
Jan Van Esch