I have started a new blog in Dave's Memory.
Go to
wwwwww.DaveRichardsMemory.blogspot.comwww
for more recent info, photos, articles, and learn about
the Dave Richards Memorial Award.

Friday, January 15, 2010

One Month in...


Well everyone. I hope today's addition meets the level of writing criteria you've been accustomed to, as I'm writing this one and Val has the night off... grin.

I have been hesitant to write in this blog for I suppose unknown reasons. I mean... I know why, but don't know how to express why I am hesitant. I am humbled by all the support. I mean truly humbled. I feel maybe as if, if I write the blog people will think I am trying to gain popularity, sympathy or somehow drawing attention to myself. It is hard to put into words. So let me just move on.

First off I really want to thank everyone, with all my heart, for every moment of time you have thought about us. Every prayer, the food, the positive feedback, the facebook pages, the messages and especially the encouragement. I can't tell you how much we appreciate it.

It was a month ago last night that we found out the diagnosis. One month. We have gone through so much in a month already that the cancer diagnosis seems so long ago.

As I sat waiting with my friend Bill on Wednesday for my chemo pump change, I couldn't help but notice a man laying on his bed all alone. Val mentioned she saw others alone when we were there last week as well, but this guy was different. He just laid there staring at the ceiling or looking through his charts restlessly. He didn't have any magazines, books, any friends or family there with him. I couldn't help to think... he had no hope. Obviously I have no way to know this, but I really felt that you could just see it in his eyes. He had no hope... What a statement. I can't imagine going through this without hope.

We are trusting the Lord and asking for his blessing everyday for healing, wisdom, grace and strength... everyday. Everyday brings us new hope...everyday brings us closer to him and when we feel and see what is happening in the house we know we have it. I mean people ask me how are you feeling today (100 times a day they ask...lol) I now say that I haven't felt this good in ten years! I have hope. No matter the result, we have hope. I have been saying lately that I wouldn't have signed up for this assignment, but am I somehow blessed that he chose me. He has brought us back to a heart of worship and a place we let slowly slide away, as our lives started to become comfortable years ago. We all have 'situations' and I encourage you to seek the Lord's hope for your situation.

Yesterday I stayed on my feet all day with visitors, and running errands with my friend Guy. We went out for lunch actually! I was a little nervous about that, as my food intake & swallowing can be very finicky, and sometimes food causes chest spasms for me that are painful... and in public settings can be awkward. So not wanting to put my friend in a situation like that, I was hesitant to eat out. When I expressed my concern he just laughed without hesitation and said he long ago stopped worrying about what people thought of him and let's go! Had a great afternoon. Then I went to watch the Clarke Road boys hockey game at Argyle against South. A nice and much needed 4-1 victory! The boys played well. I heard that the boys basketball team also played a great game against MTS as well and attribute both teams turn around this week to personal accountability. I mean...I saw the first games earlier this week and ouch...great job boys!

In the evening I went to the healing room down off of Adelaide street upon the invite from a new friend I met through Mike Hoy. Dan is a cancer survivor and said that the room helped his recovery and thought I might benefit from it. As the couple prayed for me I just concentrated on the Lord. I have had people pray over me before but was still not really sure what to expect. I concentrated on the Lord and the couple prayed. They prayed for healing, they prayed for protection, they prayed for a peace unlike any other. Well when I left the room, Mike said well,that took a while... 20 minutes? I looked at the clock and couldn't believe it. I thought I was in there for maybe 5 minutes and when I came out I thought...well now what? So peace. A peace like no other.

Then last night I stayed up till my eyes were falling shut and thought... finally...sleep! But oh no. No sleep yet. I was up again all night! I have to drink a lot of water during chemo so I was either up using the bathroom or just plain uncomfortable. It is annoying but yet understandable, the patterns just get all messed up. It just is hard to get you head wrapped around it. So I was up early Friday am and doing some things around here, including writing this post. I am going to play some pool with friends later to get me on my feet again.

Thank you all again for the prayers and support. We could not do this without all the encouragement. Please also remember the terrible situation in Haiti and the unrest there. We are still comfortable here in our lives and sometimes when we are going through difficulties it is easy to forget...someone, somewhere always has it tougher.

Thanks again,
Dave

14 comments:

Candy said...

Hey Dave,
Thanks so much for sharing your heart in this post. I have never once through this process thought you were aiming for attention. But I have seen people naturally gravitate to you because of the hope and calm that you portray. I am continuing to pray in hope with you and know that God is using you in this situation.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

well you are both articulate and have great writing skills! It was a pleasure hearing from you and your thoughts. I think of you often.
Vicki

Anonymous said...

ohh it's aunt jeannie again.... tired of me yet?

I can't believe what an inspiration you are to me. As of recently I realized my walk with the Lord has sadly gone wayward and was not 'important' any longer and then I started 'missing something' in my life and I realized it was Him! I am taking baby steps towards my walk with Him again and you are encouraging me to do so at a greater speed (more like a speed walk vs. baby steps). You give me hope Dave... your faith is igniting something inside me that I can't explain. I am very grateful to you for this.

Sleep... I am beginning to think maybe the Lord doesn't want you to sleep? (figuratively speaking) you are at such a beautiful place with him right now and I think He might be enjoying your company - lol ! :)-

This blog has become my "Daily Bread". I come her to read your testimony, I read, I think, I pray and become closer to God... Thank you Dave !!! (and Val too).

Much love and light,
Jeannie

Jessie Zellas said...

Mr. Richards - You are a true inspiration to all. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Our family is blessed to have you in our lives. You are in our thoughts and prayers every day. Stay strong.

Anonymous said...

Dave! Dave! Dave!
What an inspiration and blessing you are to all who know you and to all who watch & see how you and your family are taking this situation that is awefull & turning it into such a "GOD MOMENT"
Your situation originally made me sad, but the way you guys are tackling this has encouraged & inspired me & many others who are enlightened by your daily blog & by having had conversations with you =)
God has truly chosen YOU and though they are huge shoes to fill ...
You guys are filling them with greatness & humility!
Much Love & Many blessings!
Ingo

Ruby & Roy said...

Good morning Dave & Val...
Hello from Sarasota. While us oldies are not techy-savy we have finally figured out how to reply to your great info pages.
We have been following your news and share your belief that only the Lord holds our future in the palm of His hand. He is a loving God and I have every belief in a total healing for you.R&R

Phyllis C. said...

Inspiring...that's what you and your family are...inspiring.
There is no security apart from Him...thank you, both, for blogging so eloquently about your journey...your journey to peace, healing, joy, love and submission to our great God.

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine once shared with me that in the “time of crushing produces a sweet fragrance.” There are giftings in you that you never realized you had or even used as yet to minister to so many. You are teaching us what it means to live by faith and not by sight. What an important lesson to learn this side of heaven. We are standing in the gap for you as a family knowing restoration is close at hand. Blessings,
The Young Family

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, just so you know, that at about 11:15 Sunday morning, approximately 200 people will be praying for your recovery at our church. Stay strong my friend.
Pete vg

Anonymous said...

Dave...so glad you shared your post! What a testimony you are living each day! I am praying for you and your family each day! Be encouraged...be blessed!
Alisha

Anonymous said...

Good for you Dave... I am so glad that you wrote from your heart..what an inspiration to others. God's peace & light are surely shining thru' you & Val. You are NOT alone!!! God & your friends are walking this journey with you.

"Now may the LORD OF PEACE himself give you PEACE AT ALL TIMES & IN EVERY WAY.The Lord be with all of you.".... 2 Thess.3:16.

Barbara

Crystle said...

Mr.Richards!

You are truely an inspriation! You are a strong person and you have a ton of support for family, friends and Im sure the CRSS students are thinking of ya too. I know I have been!

I am glad to see that you wrote a blog. I love reading the ones that Val writes cause it keeps the rest of us in the loop about how you are doing.

Stay Strong!!
Thinking of you and your family everyday!!

Crystle Charette

Anonymous said...

Mr.Richards! I'm glad to hear that you're doing good and you're staying strong!

Personally I don't think having this blog is attention seeking, it's a great way to keep everyone up to date on how you are. Which we all really love!

It was quite exciting to see that you wrote this one, because we were able to know your thoughts, and feels, and get the information (as my mom would say it) "right from the horses mouth!" :P

You are an inspriation me, and to many others. I'm glad I got the pleasure of being taught by you.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Jordan Simmons.

Chris Ward said...

Hey Mr.Richards its good to hear that your doing so good! Get better so you can come visit us here at Clarke .

Hope you get better
Chris Ward.