I have started a new blog in Dave's Memory.
Go to
wwwwww.DaveRichardsMemory.blogspot.comwww
for more recent info, photos, articles, and learn about
the Dave Richards Memorial Award.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Seeing the Donut instead of the Hole

The first few weeks after Dave's diagnosis seemed to be filled with upset people just wanting to see him. Dave was usually the one cheering his guests up! A little more time has passed and things have become a little (very little) more routine. People make time to come over to visit and there are no tears, just laughing and stories. You wouldn't know Dave was ill except for the occasional hiccup that causes him some chest pain. He has a great appetite and a good sense of humor.

Dave has been touched by so many friends, students, co-workers, and acquaintances that really have been encouraging him so much. And I'm pretty sure that Dave is encouraging them right back!

"Seeing the Donut instead of the Hole." This phrase will likely make Dave hungry as he's voluntarily cut sugar and a whole lot of other processed food out of his diet, but it sums up what's going on around here right now.

No needles today! Dave went with a friend for his weekly visit to the LRCP to have the pump changed for the 5-FU chemo med. They also did blood work and told him that the results looks great! (I don't believe the blood work is related to the cancer really, but just to check how he's faring on the chemo meds.) He asked when we'd get the results from the brain & bone scans and they said not until our next visit with the oncologist, which is in 2 weeks.

He mentioned that he wasn't able to sleep for the past two nights. They said it was probably the anti-nausea meds and gave him another/different presciption today. Hopefully that does the trick.

Speaking of sleep, I need some!

Thanks for checking in and for your thoughts & prayers!

Val

6 comments:

Judie Webb said...

Sleep in a wonderful thing (from the mouth of a shift worker!). Great to hear Dave is getting out to cheer on the Clarke Rd teams .. I am sure the students are very happy to see him.

For Val ... the Volleychicks send our best wishes! We miss you on the court, and still have our fingers crossed for your return in the 2011 season. All the chicks are praying for you and Dave and want to get together with you to have night out to chat or gossip ... well, you know ... that seems to be out warm up activity :)

Please take care of each other, enjoy you down time together.

Always in my thoughts and prayer ... and to be honest some days I find myself thinking "this really isn't happening" ... it can't be to such good people(weird, I know)

Judie Webb

Anonymous said...

Hi Val & Dave,
When my Dave was taking his chemo, they also put him on steroids, which sort of put him"over the top"..just ask James. He would be up a lot during the night playing with Beau...I had to reseed the lawn as he & Beau had sooo much fun throwing & catching the ball between 3&6 in the night .
With our experience, when something very abnormal showed up on the CT scan, they sent us right up to see Dr. Dingle or Dr. Parent to adjust the medication...they didn't wait for the next appt. So , I think since they didn't have you see them right after, that that is a good sign.
My heart aches for all of you. I am praying that God will do a miracle for you Dave for His glory.
Thanks Val for giving us 1st hand info re your journey.You have an abundant # of people who love & care for you & are praying for you.
Do you want any of my "juicing" books? I have several that you could borrow. I also have several books on Raw Food Diets...either email me or let James know.
You are both doing a GREAT job at tackling this challenge.
Love, Barbara

Anonymous said...

Dave and Val, I am so glad that treatment has started so quickly. Val, your blogs are so sequential with details as well as so much heart in there for your guy. Dave, your routine of treatment, appointments, feeding tube and times out with friends has fallen into place it seems so easily. I know that it isn't an easy journey to embark upon but with your positive, proactive attitude and Val's you have been able to take in such a shock, assimilate so much information, meet time slots for appointments, ask questions and recalibrate your life in such a short time. The kids and I have always been so proud and in awe of all the challenges(walls) that you have through your life surmounted but now after so much we're really aware of your strength and perseverance that brings you to another wall, immediately set and tackling it with grace and great faith. I've been waiting for things to settle a bit from the initial diagnosis and Christmas. I totally forgot your birthday and your wedding aniversary which I remember so clearly! What an abundance of events to handle! I wish you a very happy 45th birthday and I am so proud that you have celebrated 26 years together. Bravo! I am trying to find a good time to call. I really liked that you have had quiet moments before the fire(down time together is so important) I don't want to interrupt but I will be calling soon so just tell me if it's a bad time and I'll call back. Love to you both, Aunt Lynne

Dave said...

Hello to both of you!
Please let me know if either of you need a pick-up/drive-around. I am ALWAYS flying past your place and am working only minutes away and would love to help in some way for you!
As well - Mel, myself and the kids are having great discussion/prayers about both of you! (ie.e they wanted to know if Dave's strength is good enough to hit home runs still... and I had to say that "he's getting too old for home-runs now.. he can get to 2nd base - and that's pretty good for him.... and we can have Val hit him home this summer! " I think Shane giggled at that thought! All the ebst to both of you - and loads of love.
Dave

Anonymous said...

Sleep? haha what is that? Just wanted to say it's nice to be able to be in on stuff,

Thinking of you guys often!

Michelle

Heather said...

Hey Val & Dave,

Thanks so much for keeping the blog up to date. My husband and I are trying our best to keep you in our prayers and I'm happy to be here along with you guys reading and seeing what we can pray for.

You both are an inspiration to us younger married people who can look up to you both and see that when life throws you curve balls, you stick together, encourage each other and continue to thrive in your marriage. Thank you.

Heather Jolliffe (used to be Clark, from Galilean Bible Camp)