I have started a new blog in Dave's Memory.
Go to
wwwwww.DaveRichardsMemory.blogspot.comwww
for more recent info, photos, articles, and learn about
the Dave Richards Memorial Award.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

From PICC lines to Siberia

Tomorrow Dave goes in for his PICC line insertion at St. Joe's at 12:30pm. (A Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter is a thin, soft plastic tube — like an intravenous (IV) line — guided through a large vein in your arm up into the main vein near your heart where blood flows quickly.) This is how the chemotherapy meds are administered. A PICC line stays in place for weeks or months as long as needed.
Obviously we hope that this goes smoothly and isn't painful or uncomfortable.

Today we went to church and were encouraged by a number of people, some we know better than others, and it's always moving to hear that our attitude or story is uplifting to others. Our 'story' is actually the same as everybody's - that is that the future is never certain or guaranteed. We're quickly learning the reality of thanking God every day for what we do have.

Yesterday Dave & I went for a walk with Brady through Reservoir Park. The dog loved it, and we enjoyed the stillness and beauty of the fresh snow in the woods. Dave was feeling well, and also got out to watch some boys high school basketball yesterday & today.

On a side note, my sister & I went for our usual Sunday visit to my parents this evening. My father is 85 and spent a good part of his young life fleeing Communism and the Russian Army with his parents & 3 siblings. He retold some of his story this evening of living in Siberia for 6 years, traveling back to the Ukraine, then fleeing to Europe. Despite the fact that they were traveling on foot through war torn Europe during World War II, were split up a few times, witnessed horrific acts of war, and made numerous life and death decisions, all 6 of them survived and made it to Canada together. He constantly acknowledges that it was only God's Grace that kept them alive and together. Beating the odds appears to be God's specialty!

(Don't ask me how I went from PICC lines to Siberia!)

Thanks to everybody for your continuing prayers! Keep Dave in your thoughts, and please pray that tomorrow's procedure goes smoothly.

Val

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Val

It's Jeannie (Gwen's Aunt and well your friend too)...

"Don't ask me how I went from PICC lines to Siberia!"... well it was a journey with an unpredictable ending and yet against all odds the entire family made it safely to Canada... let's pray that your journey with Dave will replicate the same ending as your father's ending - against all odds... he prevailed and so will Dave !

I am thinking of you both so often and praying every time you pop into my mind. I admire your strength and your faith is inspiring !!

I hope Dave's appointment went smoothly today. Remember to keep listening to your inner self - if something doesn't feel right act on it... Even if it is a minor pain or you think medication is too strong or not strong enough... listen to that voice - its God whispering in your ear.

Much love and light,
Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Hey there Richards...I mean Mr. Richards.
I am just finding out about this and i know if anyone can make it through this it will be you!
You are the main reason that I am where I am today. And I'm sure that goes for a lot more young people that have had the privledge to have you in their lives over the years.
I'm now a coach/teacher and doing what i love most in the world;that is teaching wakeboarding.Plus, I am working on getting into college as a mature student in something in the lines of business. I thank you so much for being the best teacher a young person could have ever had the plesure to be taught by.

Thanks to you, I was able to build a dock and an equipment shack to help opperate my business. Also you inspired me turn that corner from being a punk kid that doesn't give a sh*T about school to me becoming a business owner and contining my education.
I hope to SEE you out there as soon as you get better and this leason will be on me!
My prayers are with you and your family,
Andrew Thompson/Sunova WaterSports

Anonymous said...

Thank you for these updates, which we check daily. Remembering you before the Father.