I have started a new blog in Dave's Memory.
Go to
wwwwww.DaveRichardsMemory.blogspot.comwww
for more recent info, photos, articles, and learn about
the Dave Richards Memorial Award.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

First Day of Spring

After a week of almost summer-like weather, spring has finally arrived here in Southwestern Ontario! Unfortunately it's feeling a little wintery around here again today.

Dave has been enjoying March Madness for a week or so. For those of you that are unfamiliar with this, it's the NCAA basketball championship tournaments. For those of you that still don't quite get it, it's a phenomenon that sends hardcore American college basketball fans into a frenzy every year. Around here, it's like the Olympics - don't even think about changing the channel. Dave's not a big NBA fan. (I believe he refers to them as hoodlums.) However college basketball is an entirely different entity. These are players, coaches, and fans that live, breathe, eat, and die for the love of basketball. There's a lot of excitement, and many edge of your seat, nail-biting games. Good clean fun!

Also, I keep forgetting to mention that Dave did receive the TVDSB Award of Distinction. Fifty five people were nominated, and 21 were chosen this year. There is a ceremony and reception in May. In an earlier post about this, I mentioned that Dave has mixed feelings about this. Although he's honored to have been chosen, he feels that there are many others in his school that are equally, or more deserving. There were 10 letters of reference and there could easily have been more, but 10 is the maximum allowed with the nomination. These are heart tugging letters and are all true reminders of Dave's heart, and his desire to help the underdog in many cases. I've assured him that he deserves it.

Dave's week has been pretty full I think. He does have a lot of friends that want to come by to visit. Although the beginning and middle of the week weren't too bad for him, the last few days and today weren't very good. He just isn't feeling great, has occasional nausea (he thinks from the tumor's location), and is unfortunately still dealing with the fact that he can't swallow even liquids. He has been sick a few times and it's brutally painful for him. This evening we went briefly to Chapters as Dave wanted to get out and pickup a few magazines. It was tough. He is just not feeling strong, and seems to have spells where he just needs to stop and sit down. We were only there for about 15 minutes, and that was long enough. We got home and I must say that he did perk up pretty quickly when he turned the basketball games back on!

He's been reading the paper this evening and he found this article quite amusing but a sad commentary on what we feed our children. (Although it was in today's London Free Press, it doesn't seem to be in the online version of our paper. But here is a different link to the story.) It was titled "Not so happy meal turns 1 year". A nutritionist bought a happy meal and left it in her office for a year. It didn't rot or decompose at all.
And this is 'food' that is geared to children. That's pretty sad.

Thanks again for checking in and for praying for Dave, Cale, & I. 

Val

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

TVDSB Award of Distinction. WOW!!!
I think Dave doesn't give himself enough credit ...true there are others who are also deserving of such an honour, but you Dave, You go way past the call of duty! You deserve this award and so many more, your humble, your giving your kind & compassionate, your always looking out for others in way's many don't understand. When I first met you ( 8-9yrs ago?) my life had taken a disappointing turn, everything around me seemed as though it was falling apart. The only thing left for me at that time were my children. They were & still are one of the most important parts of my life. I was left with full custody & responsability of raising a 14year old daughter & a 10 year old son. My daugter was just starting High school (CRSS) she too was struggling with our lives being discombobulated and had some demons of her own. Well upon meeting Dave one day and speaking with him he assured me that he would keep an eye on my daughter during school hours and would do what he could to help her stay out of trouble. This kind and humble teacher made my life a little less complicated ...it helped put my mind at ease knowing that there was someone looking out for her! And during her 4 1/2 years at CRSS there were many a discussion at our dinner table when my daughter would groan "dad ...what did you say to Mr. Richards? He's always asking me when he sees me if I'm staying out of trouble, he's shooing me off to class, he does'nt let me get away with anything!!!" From the bottom of my heart ...Thank-you for being there when we needed someone to be there!
Both my children, myself & my wife of 4 years now admire & respect you more than you could ever imagine :) Our prayers & thoughts are with you & your family, always!!!!
Blessings,
Ingo, Kathleen, Nikita & Jake

Anonymous said...

GO UK WILDCATS!!!!




The Stirling McKillops :)

Anonymous said...

Pretty disgusting! We were just reading this article yesterday. Sure reinforces the concept of making healthy/living food choices.

Anonymous said...

Dave...you ABSOLUTELY deserve that award...listen to your wife...she's right....and, also, never forget that you have an army of Prayer Warriors surrounding you and your family every single day.


Phyllis C.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, Val and Cale,

Congratulations on the award!! Like everyone who really knows you Dave, Zen and I are not the least bit surprised that you were selected. When you live your faith as you do these things are bound to happen!

We have always felt that your spirit is like a magnet which naturally draws people to you. We believe as you do that with Christ all things are possible. Knowing Him assures us that we will be okay. That knowledge makes the pain and suffering of this world a little more bearable.

You have touched so many lives Dave that Zen and I expected there would be an overwhelming number of people praying for you. We are so glad to join with all of these voices in asking God to give your body peace, to heal you completely!

God bless you Dave, Val and Cale.

John And Zeny.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dave on this SPECIAL award!!! From what your students have said on your blog & from meeting you, I am not one bit surprised!!!! You have truly made an impact & a difference in many people's lives & you & Val are continuing to do so as you fight this battle you are now faced with. You are not alone in it.. we are praying for all of you. Picture God wrapping his arms of love right around you & rest in His peace!
Love, Barbara

Jessie Zellas said...

Mr. Richards, congratulations on your award. There is nobody more deserving than yourself. You have touched so many people with your kindness and caring more than you know and they would not be where they are today without you. They are better for just having known you. I know this from our family's personal experience. You are the best! Hopefully your nausea and pain will cease. We think of you often and pray for you daily.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the award Dave!!! Absolutely you DESERVE it...and don't think for a second you don't!! Awesome!!
Continuing to pray for YOU! and Val! and Cale!
Love and hugs to all of you from the Martin house!!!

michelle and A.J. said...

Hey folks, Super cool award! Is the ceremony an open event? Would be neat to be there for that!

Keep on keepin' on!

Michelle and A.J. and the boys

Candy said...

Hey Dave and Val!
DR - of COURSE you deserve that award - you are one of the most genuine guys I know. I love that you are a straight shooter, and you have that tough love.

I have been thinking about you and praying for you guys constantly and I wish so much that there was something more tangible I could do.

I love you both!

Anonymous said...

Sending you big hugs and prayers. Dawn Young

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the award Tito Dave you really do deserve that. By the way i dont think ill be eating Macdonalds for a while after seeing that picture got me thinking how old those burgers are that they stash and cook.

Pat

Crystle said...

CONGRATS MR.RICHARDS!! You are definantly deserving of this award....and if anyone were to tell you different..they obviously don't know you very well!
You are an incredible person!

Keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers!

Crystle