I have started a new blog in Dave's Memory.
Go to
wwwwww.DaveRichardsMemory.blogspot.comwww
for more recent info, photos, articles, and learn about
the Dave Richards Memorial Award.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

New week

It's been a tough few days since I posted last. I've been a little down, and Dave's been a little discouraged with his lack of progress in getting rid of the chemo side effects. (I was a little optimistic in thinking that he'd start to feel a little better days after chemo finished.) It's been a bit of a mental block to get past the frustration of realizing how much harm chemo did, with no benefit. But the reality is that we had to go through it to get to the point we're at now.

And so we move on.

A number of positive things have happened in the last few days. On Friday Dave was nominated by his school for the Thames Valley District School Board 2010 Award of Distinction. He was given a copy of the letters that were submitted by a number Clarke Road Secondary School staff members, as well as parents, and past students. (These letters are what the selection committee bases their decision on.) They were all very touching and remind me what a big heart Dave has! Dave was very humbled by it all and in all honesty doesn't feel he deserves it. I reminded him that everything in those letters and every story was true, and he's very deserving of the recognition. I have no idea when they make their decision but it's pretty neat!

On Saturday Dave had plenty of company and I ran errands mainly to check out the Farmer's Market at the fairgrounds, and Slegers Organic Farm in Strathroy. (I bought some more fresh wheatgrass at Slegers!)

This morning we went to church, and then went to visit friends in the north end. Then a friend drove Dave to Strathroy to watch a girls OBA (Ontario Basketball Association) game. A friend of Dave's coaches a team and Dave knows a few of the girls and recently encouraged a Clarke Road student to try out for the team. When he got there, the girls presented him with a basketball that they had all signed for him and had put a crest on the shoulder of their uniforms.
They gave Dave his own shirt with the crest! (In case the picture doesn't show up properly for you, it says "IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING" STAY STRONG MR. RICHARDS!
Very fun and very encouraging!

This evening a friend came over to watch the Olympic hockey game. (Unfortunately, as you all know, the bad guys won.) I went to visit my parents after dinner and when I came home Dave had a lovely fire going.

It's a new week, and all we can do is take it from here! 

Have a great week everybody and thanks for checking in!

Val

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about the results of the scan, and the remaining side effects, but want you to know that you are in my prayers daily. Mr.Richards, I am not sure if you remember me, I was at EA at CRSS until Dec 2009, working with a female student in the main school, you covered a photography class one day, and the brief time that I was able to see you teach that day, I could tell what a wonderful teacher you are!!! You are very deserving of the Award of Distinction from TVDSB!!! I wish you all the best on your continued fight and again, praying for you and your family daily!!! Take care
Sher Rose

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave - When you're down, the only place you can go is up. You promised to serve Jesus to the end and the end is not yet. So take heart and keep in the Word. We have a great big wonderful God and HE loves YOU.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your Award nomination!I have seen the immense school spirit that you displayed at the OFSSA volleyball game and you obviously put forth this effort in all your work. We were sorry to read that the chemo was not able to benefit you. Now your body can recover from it's nasty side-effects (I think I am still in a chemo fog 3 1/2 years later). You can look forward to watching your hair sprout in a month or two, which might be good for a few laughs- it probably wont look like your norm- but eventually your true colours will shine through! Put the chemo behind you and jump to your next stepping stone. Stay strong and positive.
Here are a few words from a book that my Grandmother sent to me when I was healing:
"Trust Crowds Out Worry"
"Commit your way to the LORD...
and He shall bring it to pass."
PSALM 37:5
Take Care of each other,
Donna Shuster

Anonymous said...

Love and hugs...and tons of prayers...

and then even more love and hugs and ever more prayers!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the award nomination Dave...you definitely deserve it! You are an amazing teacher, coach and friend! Thinking of you and sending prayers each day!
Alisha