I have started a new blog in Dave's Memory.
Go to
wwwwww.DaveRichardsMemory.blogspot.comwww
for more recent info, photos, articles, and learn about
the Dave Richards Memorial Award.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Update

Hi All.

It's been a few days, so I thought I'd give a quick update.

Dave feels OK, but still tires very quickly if he tries to do anything - even just around the house. (Might just be an excuse to get out of housework...) On Thursday evening he went to the Knight's game with a friend. This evening he went out to an OHL game with a friend. (He really does have to plan for these by not doing anything throughout the day or he's entirely wiped. And sometimes he finds that he just can't do something, despite his plans.) This Tuesday evening he plans on going to Toronto to watch the Leafs play Boston. (A friend he reconnected with last year has been wanting to see an NHL game together.) Although I worry and think he should just take it easy and rest, it's also important to have things to look forward to, and to get out of the house. Dave's uncle is driving him down and going to the game as well.

On Friday afternoon I finally heard back from Dave's Thoracic surgeon regarding Dave's inability to swallow even liquids anymore. He strongly recommends putting a stent in - that's what they do, and that's all they offer here. I asked about laser therapy, and he said they used to do laser therapy years ago, but no longer do. It's extremely labour intensive for them, there's risk of perforation - which is a bad thing, and  he says the tumor grows back within weeks. I also asked about photodynamic therapy, and he said that it's normally only done on earlier stage esophageal tumors, and they don't do it here it London anyway. He only knew of one person that does them. He gave me the name - a doctor at St Michaels Hospital in Toronto. I will contact try to contact this doctor next week. Another friend gave us a lead on another place that does photodynamic therapy in Burlington, but after looking at their website, I have a feeling that they only use it on skin cancer. I call them yesterday as well, but the contact name I was given, as well as the Doctor were off on Friday. Hopefully they call back Monday.

Dave has to use the feeding tube 100% now. Fortunately we can still do the raw diet (juices and green smoothies etc...) through the tube. And Dave prefers not to have to drink the wheatgrass anyway! He does however salivate at all the food commercials on tv. I feel so bad for him... I try not to eat in front of him.

Tomorrow our friends Mark & Chris arranged a 12 hour prayer day for Dave, through the facebook page they set up. It awesome that you all are so supportive! More than anything we believe in the power of prayer and in Jesus Christ.
We still remain positive and are taking one day at a time!

Val

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Val....praying for you, Dave and Cale today.

Hugs to all!
Lisa

mchoy said...

Thanks Val. Your ability to stay positive, focused and faithful is amazing. Love you guys. Michael

Anonymous said...

You will be in our prayers all day long...You are loved.
Bob & Care

Jessie Zellas said...

Think of you often and pray for you on a daily basis. If there is ANYTHING we can do, please give us a call. Stay strong and keep smiling.

Anonymous said...

Dave, Val and Cale,

Zen and I continue to pray daily for each of you. We are asking Almighty God, the One who is able, to heal Dave completely!
From Psalm 30:1-4
1 I will exalt you, O LORD,
for you lifted me out of the depths
and did not let my enemies gloat over me.
2 O LORD my God, I called to you for help
and you healed me.

3 O LORD, you brought me up from the grave;
you spared me from going down into the pit.

4 Sing to the LORD, you saints of his;
praise his holy name.

Dave, you are always in our thoughts and prayers.

May God richly bless you and heal you.

John and Zen

Anonymous said...

Hi Val, Dave & Cale,
It was great to hear that you are keeping positive. Trust in our lord to guide you. We sometimes use a medication called glycopyrrolate to decrease salivation in our babies that have difficulty managing their saliva. There are side effects, as does any medication but maybe a small dose might make a little difference. Just wish I could help more!! Call me any time.
Jan

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, Val and Cale.
Still praying for your family as you go through this.
May the Lord bless you with the strongest sense of His presence.

karl

Mrs. Jackson said...

Hi Val, Dave and Cale,
We wanted you to know that we are thinking of you often and praying that you have the strength to stay strong and positive and find joy in each day.

Best wishes for good days,

Lisa, Ben, Sam, and Isaac Wong
(Tom, Emma, and Abby too)