I have started a new blog in Dave's Memory.
Go to
wwwwww.DaveRichardsMemory.blogspot.comwww
for more recent info, photos, articles, and learn about
the Dave Richards Memorial Award.

Monday, March 15, 2010

It was light out 'til 7:30 tonight!

Hi all. Just another post to check in with you. I was planning on posting last night, but I somehow lost an hour over the weekend and just ran out of time.

The end of last week were pretty bad days. Dave generally felt pretty crappy, had headaches, and wasn't able to keep a few of his meals down, which is really painful for him. The weekend was pretty good though. On Saturday night we went to our friend Mark's birthday party for a few hours. It's good to get out and Dave felt OK.

At the end of last week I was also able to speak directly with another surgeon out of St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto regarding options to ease Dave's swallowing problem. (Dave's thoracic surgeon here in London gave me his name and said he was the only doctor he knew of doing PDT for Esophageal Cancer.) I faxed him some of Dave's reports and he actually called me back the same day. He said that laser therapy and PDT (Photodynamic Therapy) weren't recommended for the stage and size of Dave's cancer, and he said that he would also recommend a stent for Dave's situation. This is what his surgeon here in London said was his only option. I think I've mentioned this before, but a stent is a self-expanding flexible mesh tube that they insert in his esophagus to keep the tumor growth back. It's an outpatient procedure and Dave would be able to eat again in 24 hours. Although his doctor assured me that there are little complications, I have read that there is risk of the stent slipping down and can become uncomfortable. (I also recall the second opinion doctor we spoke with in January mentioning this problem exactly as well.) Also, it's only 1/2" in diameter and his doctor mentioned that the most common problem is people becoming overzealous and trying to eat steak dinners etc... and food can become stuck.
At this point, Dave would prefer to hold off on the stent and just deal with the inability to swallow for now. There are two reasons for this. The stent apparently can't be removed after it's been in for a few weeks, which means it becomes permanent. Although the doctors don't understand this, we are still optimistic for healing through the grace of God, and so don't want the stent. Secondly, Dave really doesn't want to have to deal with something else that could have complications and cause other difficulties for him. He's concerned that it may become uncomfortable and will just become a new issue to contend with. 

Right now poor Dave is regularly tormented by food commercials on television. It's funny how you never notice this kind of thing, but there are A LOT of food and restaurant commercials. Food is such a social thing. People just get together and eat. That's what we do. Dave usually watches them, longingly, and is doing pretty well, but it does take it's toll over time and occasionally it's very trying for him. I guess it's just another challenge to overcome.

Yesterday some of his family came down to visit him. His 5 year old nephew was curious about the feeding tube. It was lunch time and Dave had to eat, so he showed John how it worked. Then he let him push the food in with the syringe. (We returned the feeding pump because of it's irritation factor - It's noisy.) Dave would rather just use big syringes and do it himself. Also it's easier to use syringes with the raw food diet than the pump. Anyway, John was pushing the syringe and his mom said, "He is never going to stop talking about this - I can tell right now!" Kids are so cute! They don't even think things like a feeding tube are strange. If it's normal to you - it's normal to them.

Today Dave was feeling pretty good for most of the day. His mom came down to visit and help him to sort through some school paperwork he brought home a few months ago. He was doing OK until a few hours ago and unfortunately was unable to keep his meal down. It's extremely painful for him, but he did feel better shortly afterwards. He actually said his back was feeling better afterwards than it had in a long time. Go figure. I'm really hoping with spring on the way, that Dave starts feeling up to getting outside and going for short walks every day and gets out in the fresh air again. I know that spring is good for the soul. (It is for me anyway!)

Everyday we hope and pray for a better day than the last. Thanks for your continued concern and prayers!

Val

7 comments:

Jessie Zellas said...

Look forward to reading your new posts. Nice to hear that Mr. Richards had a family visit as family is very important and I am sure this visit perked him up. I admire your determination for not accepting the status quo when it comes to treatments/technology that have been offered here in London for Mr. Richards. You are the best! I am sure something positive will come out of it. You are all in our prayers and think of you every day. Please let us know if we can do anything to help.

Anonymous said...

Hey Val/Dave,

My heart is hurting for Dave ! I still think and pray for you every day...

Much Love,
Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Dave and Val:
Thank you so much for your updates guys...we appreciate that so much. You both mean the world to Tony and I.. your offer to hold Tony's 50th was so kind and we had so much fun. I understand about not wanting the stent...sometimes you just know when something is not right. Your positive attitude is inspiring and I believe goes a long way in the healing process. Bye for now, Carol Ficca

Janine Devlin said...

Thanks for keeping such detailed updates. I am often thinking of you and looking for updates, hoping to hear about more good days. Keep up the hard work, I'm thinking of you both!
PS. I have ordered some nice weather all week for you :) I hope you get a chance to enjoy some of it.
PSS We are missing you at vball!
Janine

Anonymous said...

Hi Val & Dave,
I am so sorry you guys are having to face all of this. My heart also goes out you. Know that you are in my thoughts & prayers daily!!! You both are an inspiration for us all!!!
Love Barbara

Kat11 said...

Good to hear your visits went good...hope you are feeling better soon...I am continuing to pray for you and your family during this tough time...it is not easy for anyone. Try not to watch too many food commercials...they are way too much of a tease...lol
hope you are feeling better

Judie Webb said...

Count down to spring ... tommorrow at 1:32 PM is when spring officially arrives!
This "winter" weather hasn't been too bad either. I hope spring brings you new found strength to keep up the battle.

Judie Webb