I have started a new blog in Dave's Memory.
Go to
wwwwww.DaveRichardsMemory.blogspot.comwww
for more recent info, photos, articles, and learn about
the Dave Richards Memorial Award.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Seeing Orange


Organic carrots! We got 'em. 

When, I placed the order on Friday, I decided to change it from 400 lbs to only 300 lbs. That's about 1 1/2 month supply. I'm storing them in my parent's fruit cellar and they should be fine, but I was slightly concerned that at 2 months I might have some rotting carrots, so I thought I'd err on the side of caution. I also got some  organic blueberries, and celery at wholesale, as well as some more wheatgrass! (These people were very nice and the only reason I haven't mentioned the name of the supplier is because they don't normally sell to the public and I don't want other people bothering them.) Anyway, I'm very glad to have the carrots on hand. We go through so many of them that I just seemed to be constantly buying and hauling home organic carrots from the grocery store. 

On another note, we had a bit of a scare here on Monday at the end of the snow storm we were having. Cale was helping a friend move and while his friend was driving them home, a large pickup with a plow on the front of it, lost control, crossed the road and hit them head on! Cale called and said he was OK, but that his knee was hurting him because it jammed into the glove box on impact. (At 6'8", that's not hard to do!) He got home a few hours later and said he was fine. I asked him to do me a favour and go put gas in my car. I went to bed, and shortly after Cale came back and was in a lot of pain. He was looking for an ice pack and could barely stand, let alone walk. He said the motion of using the gas pedal and the vibration of the vehicle just started hurting and then quickly turned to shooting pain. He crawled to the couch, rolled up his pant leg and it looked like a huge baseball just below his right knee! I'm not talking a bump, it was a huge purple ball that looked like it was ready to explode! I said, "Yeah. I'm taking you to emerg", and after arguing with him briefly about it, he agreed. I dug out Dave's old crutches from the basement, and then I ended up just dropping Cale off, as it was 1:00am, I was exhausted, and he didn't want me to go in with him anyway. (I'm sure I would have just slept in the waiting room, while he spent the whole time texting his friends.) I told him to call me when he was done, and I'd go back & pick him up. (We only live a few minutes from the hospital.) Thankfully, he had a friend pick him up and bring him home in the middle of the night. So, apparently he has a broken vein that created the huge blood blister. They told him that it would likely continue to bleed for a few more days and then will start healing. He's supposed to take it easy for a few days. (There goes my dog walker/snow shoveller.) Yesterday the bump looked much better, and Cale was still using 1 crutch. Today he ditched the crutch, but is walking with a limp. Sigh... Thankfully a neighbour had kindly plowed out our driveway earlier on Monday evening, and it stopped snowing. This evening we gave Brady a bone to keep him busy. (He loved it and it definitely kept him busy all evening!)

Today, Dave went with a friend to Parkhill to watch the Clarke Road girls final hockey game. It was an important game, they won (yeah!), and he was glad he went. Dave's spirits have been up and he's really been keeping positive, and actually has been keeping us both positive! He always seems to know the right thing to say if I'm feeling down. He's awesome!

Have a great evening!
Val

6 comments:

Jessie Zellas said...

Glad to hear Cale is okay. I can't think of any one who is more deserving of the Distinction Award than Mr. Richards. Glad to hear he is keeping positive and active. If you need help peeling the carrots or if there is anything else I can do to help, please give me a call. You are in our thoughts and prayers daily. Stay strong.

Unknown said...

Dave - it was nice to talk to you last night and I look forward to seeing you on the weekend. I totally believe in and support the raw food diet as it is a method that promotes the body healing itself, which it is designed to do but common medicine practices do not teach this. I have been juice fasting myself over the past year and will continue to always as I continue to see the benefits. Here are a couple of links that I found very interesting when researching how to juice fast:

http://www.juicefasting.org/juicefasting.htm

http://www.juicefasting.org/

You may already have encountered some of this info in Michigan and through other recent discussions but it is great to refer back to for inspiration and reassurance. I will be following your healing journey and praying. Success is in you if it is anywhere. Keep smiling and laughing. Much Love to you, Val and Cale. Colin Webster

Valerie said...

Thanks Jessie.
FYI. Because the carrots are organic, they don't need to be peeled. I just cut the tops off and give them a quick scrub the night before, and then I juice up a pitcher full for Dave in the morning before I leave for work.

Anonymous said...

Glad Cale got his knee checked out and it will heal.

I'm assuming Brady requires someone more than 130 lbs to walk him? Ava and I would have some fun with that, but I'm not sure we'd be walking HIM, but he'd be running us! We can shovel snow though, Ava has her own shovel!

love Gwen

A.J. said...

So, how's the chemo side effects? Are they getting better? I assume so if his spirits are picking up, but I've been wondering all week if he's noticing a pick up day by day.

Glad to hear the bigger guy is on the mend!

Anonymous said...

Hello Dave and Val

Val thanks so much for keeping everyone up dated with Dave and your family. Val you are definately a very strong women and Dave & Cale are very lucky that you taking excellent care of them.

Hey Dave..I know in my heart that you are going to beat this! I will have to drop by for a visit and chat. I was a wonderful that you received the Award of Distiction..you definately deserved it. You have no idea how many kids you have helped out and they totally respect you. You have a great repitoir (hopefully I spelt it right)with the kids and the teachers. It was very nice that the girls basketball team gave you this t-shirt..that just shows how much you are respected.

You are in my heart and in my prayers.

Talk soon
Love Marion