I have started a new blog in Dave's Memory.
Go to
wwwwww.DaveRichardsMemory.blogspot.comwww
for more recent info, photos, articles, and learn about
the Dave Richards Memorial Award.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Groundhog Day

From what I understand both Wiarton Willy and Punxsutawney Phil saw their shadows today and predicted 6 more weeks of winter. Drag. It's been a pretty mild winter, but we could sure use some spring right about now.

Our plans are still a go for tomorrow. Dave will have his blood tests and chemo bottle change tomorrow morning, and then we'll head out tomorrow after lunch. Dave really isn't feeling well lately so we're hoping he endures the 4+ hour drive without too many problems. For those of you that are just tuning in, we're heading to the Creative Health Institute in Michigan. (www.creativehealthinstitute.com) We'll stay there for a week and they'll start Dave on a cancer-fighting diet. They'll also educate & train us how to carry on with it when we're home. They would like us to stay for 2 weeks but unfortunately 6 days is all we can do right now with Dave's chemo schedule. We feel the sooner we can start the better, and 6 days is better than nothing right now.

Cale is at home and we have a few different friends that have generously offered to take turns taking in Brady, which is awesome! (Thank you so much you guys! We really appreciate it. We're happy that he doesn't need to be kenneled and can hang out with his buddies Sky, Beau, & Bear!) We're hoping for a good travel day and an easy trip across the border. We really hope Dave starts feeling better. He is nauseous a lot, and just feels like he's going to be sick constantly. He's really lost his appetite. He's still eating but kind of against his will. (He's doing it because he knows he has to, not because he's hungry.) He started using his feeding tube again today for supplemental nutrition. (Unfortunately even the smell of that makes him feel sick.) He ate dinner, but said it tasted metallic. I read that using plastic cutlery can help with that, so we'll be trying that next. I feel so bad for him as he obviously just feels awful.

He still feels well enough to check out hockey games. (On tv - he's avoiding arena's anymore.) Dave's main concern about going to Michigan is ensuring that he'll still get to watch the superbowl on Sunday afternoon!
 I've had to promise that someway, somehow, we'll find a tv! (It's the states - it has to be on everywhere!)

Anyway, I have to pack so it's another short post today. I'm not sure about internet access there, so don't panic if you don't see a post while we're gone! FYI. We can both receive unlimited text messages in the States, and I added a temporary add-on to Dave's cellphone so he can send 1000 text messages from the States. So for those of you that text - feel free to send messages, and we'll probably respond in the evenings. (They said they get decent cell service there, so hopefully that's the case.)

Thanks for checking in, and please pray for Dave's strength to be renewed and that he just feels better.

Dave would like to encourage people to leave comments. We know that lots of people are checking in and it's just so nice to read your comments!

Val

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Val/Dave,

Have a wonderful safe trip! I will pray for you both ... obsorb the knowledge they will give you and KNOW that this will benefit Dave is so many ways ! Thinking of you both..
**(you guys)** = a cyber hug(s)!

Much love and strength,
jeannie

Dave said...

All the best to both of you. Just think of the nausea as meaning that the chemo is working over time and is purifying what it is supposed to! All the best on your trip - and we promise we'll try to NOT lose Brady while you're gone! ;)

BTW - you are going with God - and as I find in Isaiah 40:28-32 REALY helps me when I don't know if I can go another day with disability. It's quit shocking what od does with our little bit of strength!

Dave

Candy said...

I will definitely be praying as you head to Michigan. I know that this can only inspire positive results so I am excited to see how it makes you feel. I think that I need some healthy living choices myself! You both inspire me with every post and every time I see you. I appreciate your friendship more and more as I see how your faith is guiding you through this.

I love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Praying for a safe trip and a huge success with the diet changes. Always in my prayers, Ted and Sean are thinking positive for you too. They were sad to hear of your illness and I gave them the address for your blog. Take care both of you, and Dave, keep the faith!

Anonymous said...

I'm Ashley Finches cousin and I have met Cal a number of times. I have been following the progress since I found out about Dave. I have been withholding writing something cus I never know what to say, but tonight I feel compelled to write a few lines. Please know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers each and everyday. God does works is wonderful ways. I love your positive approach on this thing called cancer. As you know you have alot of people who admire and love you even those you don't even know including myself. All the best on your trip...and yes you have to make sure you find a tv for the big game on Sunday.

Drive Safe..The Lord will be watching over you.

Stacey Sprowl

Jessie Zellas said...

Wishing you the best on your trip and looking forward to hearing nothing but positive results. Take care of each other and will continue our daily prayers for you. You are in our thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Go with God.....\0/


Phyllis C.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys - praying that this snow we are getting lets up for your trip later today...I love road trips - hope you guys have some laughs together as you drive...maybe you'll see some signs that are amusing that can be added to Candy's repertoire ;-)
What team are you cheering for Dave? My Dave has been a long-suffering Saints fan (he told me he chose Saints long ago bc of their cool name - and has just stuck with them since) - he is SUPER excited to see them in the Bowl! :-) We'll be thinking of you as we are watching and hoping you've found a giganto tv to watch it on!
Val - just an encouragement to keep on going on - I know how tough it can be to watch your husband in pain/sick...you are doing great - what an awesome support he has in you.
Love you guys - Morgan is sooo excited to have Brady sleeping in her room with her! lol
Mel

Jules FDC said...

Val & Dave,
Kathy just sent over the e-mail with the news...I took the time and read the whole blog this morning. It sounds like it's been a long month for both of you. I'm glad to hear that you're not taking a "wait & see" approach. Sometimes it seems that the Cdn Health System leaves alot to the public to work out on their own these days and I'm glad you've been researching alternative methods to beat this thing. I'm a true believer in the Cancer Fighting Diet, organic food and wheatgrass... A positive attitude alone works miracles and I know that Val has enough of that for both of you. Although we've never met Dave, please know that Val has forged some great relationships here in Leamington and that we'll be praying for you every step of the way.
Good luck in Michigan!
Julie Clifford and Family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave and Val:

We have been reading your blog and please know that we are thinking of you. Good luck in Michigan, we are praying for you.

Craig, Pauline, Scott & Kurtis Davidson

Anonymous said...

Hooray... (thanks Jeannie, your niece finally figured out where to leave a comment!)

All the best for your travels Dave and Val. Praying for a safe and comfortable stay for the both of you.

You may bump into the Appleton girls checking out those deals in the States....just teasing, Val I know you will appreciate that one...

Anonymous said...

Much love, and prayers, for such an inspiring couple. You are loved and we are cheering you on!
Bob and Carolyn

Anonymous said...

The Lord bless and keep you. ...

Love you guys. ... Michael

Anonymous said...

Dave, We are thinking of you and wish a successful journey. Linda J

Anonymous said...

Hi Val and Dave, hope the journey was safe and nausea free. keep up your strength and we're thinking of you. all the best...KJ

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave and Val....

Thinking of you guys this week and praying that it's a fabulous time in Michigan...full of God moments! I pray for a peaceful, safe, healthy, informative time away.

Love and hugs,
Lisa (and Jeff, Lauren and Nathan!!)

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave...
Keep positive, keep focused...keep that smile. Hope Michigan holds much promise for you. You have touched so many lives...the support for you is overwhelming for all to see. Much support from your TO friends.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

Been thinking a lot about you. Hope you have a safe journey and remember that God will guide and protect you both. I hope you don't mind but I'd like to share something with you. My youngest daughter (who will be having her First Communion in May) overheard us talking about you the other night and in her nightly prayers she said "May God bless mommy and daddy's friend and make him better". In saying that, I hope God has heard her prayers and makes you better :)

Maria and Vic

P.S. I hope you find a tv to watch the superbowl (we're rooting for the Saints). Go Saints Go!

Jordan said...

Hey Guys!
I hope everything goes well in Michigan! You are in my thoughts and prayers everyday. I hope you get all the information you are looking for.

Mr.Richards, I hope you enjoy the Super Bowl, and finding it shouldn't be too big of an issue in the States!

Lovee you guys!
Jordan Simmons

Anonymous said...

Dave and Val,
I hope your trip to the States goes very well! Praying for you Dave that you feel better and for strength for both of you! Thinking of you each day!
Alisha

Anonymous said...

hope all is going well is Michigan! Thoughts and prayers with you and your family!! Keep on fighting!!
Sher Rose
EA CRSS