I have started a new blog in Dave's Memory.
Go to
wwwwww.DaveRichardsMemory.blogspot.comwww
for more recent info, photos, articles, and learn about
the Dave Richards Memorial Award.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

A day in the life

Not a lot going on right now, so I thought I’d show you our little hydroponic wheatgrass grow-op in the basement. :)

We’re actually growing barley grass, not wheatgrass right now. They’re both pretty much equally nutritious, and I was given a 50+ lb bag of barley seed when I purchased the unit. I have also grown some wheatgrass and will likely alternate buying both types of seeds.

This is a flat that's about 11 days old.

This shows you the root mass. 
(No soil!)>


It’s in our laundry room, and has a plumbing and drainage hookup. My brother, Nick, very kindly hooked it up for us and has come back a few times for some initial startup glitches and further maintenance. (There was a part that wasn't functioning properly, then the spray nozzles became clogged once and weren’t spraying very well, and most recently the drainage clogged up.) It sprays water for about 1 minute every hour and needs little attention from me, which is a good thing. We, actually my brother Nick, also installed a whole house water filter system to remove chlorine etc..., for the grass as well as for our drinking water and for showering. Fortunately London’s water is already alkaline, which is a good thing all around.









Every day I put in a new tray of seeds and rotate them up through the unit so the older plants get the light at the top. It holds 9 trays and after 9 days it’s technically ready to ‘harvest’, or juice, at that point. However I like to let it grow for a few more days after I remove it from the unit, and it gets another inch or so taller which produces a better yield. (I requested a few additional trays so that I could do this.) It just needs to be harvested before the grass ‘splits’, or starts to change from a sprout to a plant, because the nutrients drop dramatically at that point. Each tray yields about 4 or 5 ounces of fresh juice for Dave each day. Occasionally I buy an additional flat of fresh wheatgrass to supplement what Dave’s getting and I might have a few ounces then as well. I've also been adding frozen wheatgrass to his juices.

Overall I’m pretty happy with the unit, as I couldn’t imagine having to deal with hauling home organic soil and planting up a tray of dirt every day, then dealing with the used tray of dirt, watering the trays appropriately throughout the day, and possibly dealing with mold. I gotta say this is a LOT easier and pretty low maintenance as far as daily needs are concerned. (Although my brother might not agree...) Also, there is apparently no difference in quality if it’s grown in soil or water which was a determining factor as well.

Dave has been having a few good days (Monday & Tuesday) and then a not so good day yesterday. He just woke up feeling a little off, and just felt unwell & nauseous all day. Thankfully no headache. Today was a better day, but he's weak. He still has lower back pain, which is uncomfortable for him and a little weird. (He says it feels just like it did when he injured it years ago.)

I was very thankful to have the cleaning lady back yesterday. (Paid for by some Clarke Road SS staff. Thanks again you guys!) It's awesome to come home from work and into a clean house. Especially one that I didn't have to clean!

Cale's leg is doing OK but still bothers him if he's been standing all day. It's just an bump below his knee now.

Brady is regularly tormented by the rabbits in our back yard. (I think they heard about my stash of carrots.) They hang out near the back door and he can watch them through a back window. He usually stares at them for a good while then runs through the house trying to convince somebody to let him out so he can chase them.

I'm doing well. When the weather is nice I usually take the dog for a bike ride or walk after work.

Staying strong & positive!
Val

8 comments:

T. Mark Walker said...

Enjoyed the pics of your grow-op.

Mark

Anonymous said...

thanks for keeping us 'in the loop' Val...good to know that your whole family is doing OK...

Praying that every day is better...

Phyllis C.

Anonymous said...

Hey Val

That is quite the set up. I think it is fantastic, what you are doing, and we are praying it will win the fight against Dave's cancer. We are always thinking of you and Dave.

Take Care
Martha Trepanier

michelle and A.J. said...

Wow, that pretty hydroponics stuff is pretty impressive!! Your on heck of a wife Val!! I think we could all take a page out of your book!!!

I'm glad to hear you're holding up during these trying times.

Checking your blog every day, and praying.

Love M & A

Anonymous said...

While I was reading your blog all I could think of is what our next door neighbours house must have looked like. Ha! They had a few more plants.

Keep the faith, stay strong and positive! We are praying for you all every day.

Laura

Lucille Stuckless said...

We are praying for you and your family daily! Two mission groups that we support and an elderly friend from California are praying as well. Thanks so much for keeping us up to date...

Anonymous said...

Dave, Val and Cale,

Thanks for the visuals from down on your barley grass farm Val. They add a lot to understanding the process you have adopted to grow the raw materials. Are you planning to show some pictures producing Dave's juice with your industrial juicer?
Zen and I continue to pray for you every day Dave! Our prayer as always is that you will be completely healed and restored!

God bless you all!

John and Zen

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for the education on wheatgrass! I feel like growing some now too; I may be better at that than gardening!

Loved the rabbits, carrots and Brady humour. Admiring your strength and positivity through all this.

Best,
The Stellers