I have started a new blog in Dave's Memory.
Go to
wwwwww.DaveRichardsMemory.blogspot.comwww
for more recent info, photos, articles, and learn about
the Dave Richards Memorial Award.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Dave's Birthday & Christmas

Dave was admitted to hospital at 6:30 am on his 45th birthday, December 23rd, to have a feeding tube put in. We were originally told that he would be in for a couple of days. After pointing out to anybody that would listen that it seemed particularly cruel to hospitalize him over his birthday, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. He was discharged on Christmas Eve afternoon which we're thankful for! Also, the nursing staff on the 5th floor Thoracic Unit were awesome!
Dave had a bunch of good friends and family come to visit him on his birthday. That night he couldn't sleep because of his loud roommates snoring etc.., and the nurses let him use the ward COW (computer on wheels) to go online and answer some emails etc... which was great! Christmas Eve he was home but really tired. We spent Christmas Eve in front of the fire. :)

The procedure to put in the feeding tube went smoothly. Dave was a typical clown when I first saw him afterwards. He was still sedated and one of his first comments was, "How's my hair?" Then he made a silly comment about his newly shaved chest/stomach. Then, after dozing in an out, he said, "OK. I think if I HAD to drive, I could probably do it, but I might be a little bit all over the road.." That's my Dave! Always making me smile!

The feeding tube is to keep Dave from losing weight. Dave hasn't been able to eat solid food like meat for about a month or so and is starting to lose weight. (He's lost about 15+ lbs in the last month.) He can still eat yogurt, protein shakes, soft cheese, soups, pudding, etc... Although he was able to enjoy a little turkey with his mashed potatoes & gravy on Christmas Day, and some roast beef on Boxing Day!

So, right now Dave hooks up to a feeding tube pump each evening for about 12 hours to keep his weight on. The pump is a little noisier than we'd like, but Dave has since been waking up each morning feeling really good. Boxing Day morning he got up and said, "I feel great! I wish I could go play a game of hockey right now." That's my Dave!

Val

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for doing this Val! Sounds like you were able to have a good Christmas at home. So glad to hear. We are praying for you Dave and Val!

Laura

Anonymous said...

Yay for mashed potatoes and gravy! :-) Have started praying for Chemo to start on the 5th/6th!
Mel

Anonymous said...

Hi Val,

It's Jeannie (Gwen's Aunt). I am so glad you started this blog. I am praying for Dave daily and nightly. I think about the two of you often and when I do I PRAY ! I am so proud of you for taking charge the way that you are, unfortunately our medical system has been reduced to us managing our own cases and you are doing a fantastic job ! Dave has a wonderful support in you and I know there is lots of love surrounding him at this time including me! If there is anything I can do to help out or if you or Dave need company during chemo call on me (I am at Victoria 50% of the time) - I can take my break and come and gab your ear(s) off !

My prayers are with you both !

Light and Love,
Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to keep everyone up to date with regard to Dave's status. When things like this happen, there is so much talk that goes around and it's refreshing that you can share your experience with everyone to keep it all straight. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Dave, we wish you well and are thinking of you! We will see you at the rink when you're feeling better! Hugs from the Peers Family