I have started a new blog in Dave's Memory.
Go to
wwwwww.DaveRichardsMemory.blogspot.comwww
for more recent info, photos, articles, and learn about
the Dave Richards Memorial Award.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Chemo

Since our first visit at the Cancer Clinic I have been pushing every nurse & doctor that we've dealt with about getting Dave started with Chemo ASAP. (This is thanks to both my sisters. I was likely walking around in a bit of a daze after the first visit on the 21st, and they basically told me to snap out of it and start pushing. What they're offering isn't good enough!)

Questioning and pushing (and of course lots of prayer!) last week got his consult with the Medical Oncologist moved from Jan 6th to Dec 24th. And they also arranged for the PICC line to be put in Jan 4th, which he requires before starting Chemo. (I have already come across a very unhelpful nurse, so I made a point of tracking down a nurse that had been particularly helpful over the phone earlier in the week and thanked her in person on the 24th.)

Well, apparently the squeaky wheel gets the chemo! I called again this morning and was told they're trying to fit him in but are booked solid and still couldn't confirm a date. They called me back later this afternoon and Dave starts chemo on January 6th. Hurray! Thanks to everybody who's been praying for this for us.

This evening Dave is a little tired, and in some pain. (The tumor does cause him chest pain, and the feeding tube site is still a little uncomfortable.) Hopefully he wakes up feeling better tomorrow. He plans on heading up north to visit a friend overnight and is really looking forward to it. Don't worry. He's not driving himself, and the friend is married to a nurse, so I'll allow it. :)

I had to go back to work today, so it was nice that Dave had some company throughout the day and of course a few phones calls. It certainly helps Dave to feel loved.
Thanks you guys!

Val

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Richards was my teacher last year at Clarke Road Secondary School. When my sister told me what had happened I was and still am at a loss for words. Mr. Richards, you were by far the best teacher i have ever had the privledge of working with, and without a doubt one of the greatest people I've ever had the privledge of knowing. I pray for you and your family everyday to pull through this, if anybody can its you sir.

Anonymous said...

Yay for Chemo on the 6th...Praises going up for answered prayer! Val you are an amazing wife - keep up the fight for you hubby...praying for your strength through all of this as well.
Mel

Anonymous said...

I am walking along with you in prayer & in many , many thoughts of both of you during the day.I walked this road before with my Dave...please call me if I can be of any help....Sending you my love, Barbara.

Anonymous said...

Val you are an amazing wife...thank you for the updates! Great news about the chemo...continued prayers for direction!
Alisha