I have started a new blog in Dave's Memory.
Go to
wwwwww.DaveRichardsMemory.blogspot.comwww
for more recent info, photos, articles, and learn about
the Dave Richards Memorial Award.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Quick update

Had the feeding tube checked out in the radiology department on Monday morning. They agreed that the site itself looks great on the outside, and were at a loss as to why it is suddenly a source of so much pain for Dave. They did a scan of some sort to see if they could see anything wrong on the inside -but everything looked fine. They took a swab of the site to check for an infection and said to call back in 2 days to find out the results. (And they gave us a prescription for antibiotics to fill if necessary.)

Oddly enough a few hours later I got a call from the surgeon's office yesterday that Dave has an appointment Wednesday (tomorrow) morning. (The surgeon did the endoscope and biopsy back in December, and arranged for the feeding tube to be put in. I also spoke with him months ago when I was trying to get laser therapy or PDT for Dave.) I asked what the appointment was for, and they said it was a referral from the radiation oncologist from back at the beginning of March. We don't know what the purpose of the visit is, and I think it might be a mistake since we didn't do radiation, but we'll go anyway. Hopefully it's not too much of a downer and maybe it'll even be positive somehow.

Dave has been taking T3's for a few days now and so is finally getting some sleep because of them.
We went for a short walk this evening.
Dave is tired and weak, and we could both use some encouraging right about now.

Thanks everybody for your concerns and prayers.
Val

Oh. And a lot of people have asked how they can help out, and some have even offered to arrange for a 'work day' of sorts. I think it would be easier and less stressful (for me) if I just post a list of what we could use help with and if you're able to take on one of the tasks just let us know. I hope to get that together later this week.

8 comments:

Candy said...

Hey Val and Dave

I saw you out walking on Commissioners last night. There were too many cars around me to stop, but I said another little prayer for you. You two have been such a shining example to me.
I'm praying for some encouragement at the doctor's today!
Love you guys

James Kingsley said...

thanks for the updates val...we're headed to victoria for a few days but will keep our eyes open for the list when we return. unless candy burns through it all first of course :)

Anonymous said...

Continued prayers are being offered up to you all from the other side of this screen. We are lifting your hands like Hur and Aaron did for Moses, that you will be steady, and firm in your daily battles. And that the joy of the Lord will be your strength!!!

Sending you all a HUGE ((((hug))))!!! Mark, Dawn and "the little people"

Judie Webb said...

Val and Dave,

I have been keeping updated with the blog, but haven't sent a message to you in a while.

I love lists ... that is a great idea .... I'd love to help you work through a "to do" list! The last thing anyone wants is to cause you any extra work or stress ... good callon the list idea!

The medical updates are kind of interesting, appointments that cause potential unhappiness is never a good thing. You are in my thoughts, fingers crossed the appointment is uneventful (or even positive!)

Keep your chin up .... especially when the sun is shining!

Judie Webb

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys - we're still with you, but now in Calgary for a week with grandkids.

Been thinking of you both as I read Randy Alcorn's book about evil and suffering, "If God is Good..." The chapter I read this morning is about how suffering in our lives brings opportunity for ministry. He gives many true-to-life examples. You two are another example, and a role model for many of us who may not yet have experienced pain and suffering. God has been using your journey to touch many in ways you may not even know about. It's another one of those upside-down God-things where "when I am weak, then I am strong". Thank you for your courage,faithfulness and continuing witness in this journey.
Bob & Linda K.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave/Val,

Sending positive thoughts and extra prayers are coming your way... I know you know it is okay to surrender... put it in the Lord's loving hands.

I would love to help out in any way I can - I will watch for the list !

I hope the appointment went well this morning !!!!


Much Love,
Jeannie

Anonymous said...

Dave, Val and Cale,

Zen and I think about you every day and pray for you every day! We ask Him every day to restore peace in your body Dave. We ask that He will comfort you and ultimately that He will heal you in His perfect timing.
We have such admiration for you Val. You are the definition of sincere Christian love in action. You are a leader. You have never given up in your battle to ensure Dave receives the care he needs from a lost medical establishment. Bravo to you Val, for pressuring oncologists and other doctors to do their job, to live up to their hyppocratic oath and do what is right for their patients. God have mercy on 'those' doctors when they meet Jesus face to face and have to explain their actions. Val, Zen and I believe that you truly embody the spirit of "Richards fights back!"

May God richly bless the Richards!

In Christ,

John & Zen

Anonymous said...

saw you two at Hillside this A.M., but you were occupied with some other well-wishers/prayer warriors/friends...remember
you are prayed for every day, lifted up by those of us who are forever changed and encouraged by your journey.

Phyllis C.